PDA

View Full Version : 1968 DT1 Frame Paint Question

swm
05-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Taking frame to painter on Monday, should black paint be "gloss", "satin" or something else?
Thanks,
swm

wallkeeper
05-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Gloss

Powder?

daxiongmao
05-01-2015, 05:52 PM
swm ... how original are you trying to keep it? if original - not powder or satin [dunno] Randy

swm
05-01-2015, 10:53 PM
wallkeeper & daxiongmao,
keeping original, plan to paint not powder.
thanks!
swm

wallkeeper
05-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Cool. Original paint was 65-75 gloss black baking enamel. I have yet to see any reference to a color standard for the shade of black. Visually, RAL 9005 is a bit jetter but close

I will look forward to the results. biggergrin
Wally

nhsteve
05-02-2015, 08:11 AM
I'll be in the same position as you (i.e.- painting a '68 frame) so will look forward to your satisfaction with the result. Personally I was thinking 'not powder coat'. I knew that a satin finish would not be correct, but I don't think a 'super-gloss' would be either.

In the reference to "RAL 9005", is that the actual paint brand number? What paint will you be using, PPG or ? [dunno]

Please let us know how it comes out! [ok]

wallkeeper
05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
I'll be in the same position as you (i.e.- painting a '68 frame) so will look forward to your satisfaction with the result. Personally I was thinking 'not powder coat'. I knew that a satin finish would not be correct, but I don't think a 'super-gloss' would be either.

In the reference to "RAL 9005", is that the actual paint brand number? What paint will you be using, PPG or ? [dunno]

Please let us know how it comes out! [ok]

Steve, RAL is one of the more common standard color systems in use. It has 200 some standard colors in it. 9005 is one of the blacks

I got the gloss numbers with a gloss meter reading the flat on the swing arm of an AT 1.

I did the frame of my DT 360 in a high gloss black and like the look. But I also was not going for a stock look

Wally

swm
05-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Wally,
I appreciate the paint code info!!

Steve,
look forward to pics of your '68.

thanks,
Steve

nhsteve
05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Thanks very much for that info Wally, appreciate it. I would have guessed there was some kind of standard reference for that aspect of paint, now I know!

That's why I just love this site. I learn something new/helpful/informative every time I come on it. Thanks to all for that!victory

And yeah, jeez, I'd really like to see some pics of my '68 coming together!! Right now just another sad carcass waiting to be restored/rejuvenated. rofl_new

On the bright side, the DT360A motor is on it's way back together, so may get to jump into the '68 sooner than I thought. Yay!