YamahaEnduro.com  

Original YamahaEnduro.com forum (From 2006) 13,185 archived posts

Go Back   YamahaEnduro.com > General Discussion > Restoration Projects > Total Restorations Projects - Bikes from beginning to end
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #111
apex
Enduro Master

apex May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Very nice Apex. I was looking at your tie down scheme and was wondering if you had seen these. I am not sure what you have going on with the bar attachment there. I bought a set and they are great. I see some of your pictures have the bar to click for full size and some not. Google VS PB? Thanks for the inside tips you provide on working on these machines.

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gea...YaAjb0EALw_wcB
My tie-down scheme was due to complete afterthought, never even considered that my crappy tie downs were going to permanently scratch the chrome on the bars until I started really thinking about what I was doing. Those rags were a total (and completely effective) band-aid.

At the end of the day, I really am a total cheapskate and skip out on things that really should take my attention. I hit some things right, but holy smokes do I miss other items.

In fact, learned many lessons on this resto (as I did the last), and I want to share those on this page. That's coming.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #112
apex
Enduro Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfish View Post
Really nice bike. Might look better a little better than a new one.
I just bought an RT2 in roughly the same condition as yours was. I would lile to bring it back as you did if possible. Thanks for the great pictures.
I am in the market for a tank, mines a little rough. if you or anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. Thanks, Chris
Thanks Chris! Watch eBay closely, expand your search wording to search areas you wouldn't consider (such as "Yamaha DT tank), and you'll be surprised at the sellers who haven;t a clue what they have. Just be smart and patient, you'll find the tank you need.

You can do what I did to this one. It was a pile of garbage, but the "bones" were there, just had to see past the gray paint and cracked case.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:09 AM   #113
apex
Enduro Master

Default Lessons Learned

FYI the pictures from this post forward are hosted by Google, using steps outlined in the "Fireside Lounge" thread about No More Pictures.

LESSONS LEARNED
1. This bike was so hammered, but free to me. I intended to make it a restore and flip, because restored RT2's are worth good money. And I wanted to do it, the bike deserved it. But in the interest of making sure I could get a profit, I skipped some things. Like this.

This issue came back to haunt me, as this bike ended up NOT being a flip bike. It's now a "bro deal" bike to my friend who just retired from Milpitas Police Dept after I think 30 years, and he turned 50, all at the same time. The result of this horrible previous owner hack weld job resulted in the bike sitting uncomfortably too tall with the kickstand down. It took three tries and 2 kickstands to get the bike to sit right. We cut 2, three times, shortening and adding length, to accommodate the FACT that I should have repaired this kickstand bracket BEFORE the frame was sent for powdercoating. I have to live with this one.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #114
apex
Enduro Master

LESSON LEARNED
2. If the shift shaft is bent, AT ALL, you probably cannot get it straight enough to adjust the shifter and make the thing shift right. I thought that I did a good job getting the shift shaft straight. It passed straight through the cases without a hitch. But after 8 tries, a new shifter spring (you know the one I'm talking about), 2 new right case cover gaskets...I finally installed a new NOS shift shaft (it was less than $20 shipped). The shifter adjustment was able to be set right and the thing shifted properly.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #115
apex
Enduro Master

LESSON LEARNED
3. Don't lose critical parts. Apparently I lost the correct rear brake rod during the move from Idaho to California. I have a drawer in my enduro parts stash with 3-5 of them. But the one I thought was right, was too short. I then grabbed the one I thought was right...too long. I don't have anything in between. The brake works, but this ain't right. Will have to order the correct one.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:01 AM   #116
apex
Enduro Master

LESSON LEARNED
4. You might want to spend the time to find the decompressor parts. This bolt plugging the decompressor hole in the cylinder was the same one on the bike when I got it. I should have spent the time to get all the parts and make it right. And I will, I have time "and I know the owner." But I should have done this before I got to where I am now.

Currently the bike is running a manual decompressor with a lever on the bars, just like the old flat tracker days.

now.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #117
apex
Enduro Master

Default Meanwhile...

The new owner, some buddies and myself have been cruising around town exercising the bikes.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:36 AM   #118
fine69
Enduro Master

fine69 May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

PM me some info on that brake rod if you want me to look. You may need something better but I have some thrashed 250/360's. Never really looked at the brake rods? Who knows?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #119
Cfish

Cfish May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Smile good advise

I'm taking your advise and having a Harley metal guy work on the tank. We'll see how it turns out. I also wanted to mention that I sent my tach and speedometer to the guy on ebay in Southern Cal. He takes your old ones and sends you refurbished ones for 350 dollars. I sent them USPS priority mail which should take 2 days. Now it's day 8 and the post office has no idea where they are, and yes I have a tracking number.
From now on I will not be using the US postal service.
Of course I did this prior to reading the thread that stated you do this along with the wire harnesses. Now I have another problem with no old cores. I thought we were supposed to get smarter with age!
Cfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:35 AM   #120
Rick C.
Enduro Master

Rick C. May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfish View Post
I'm taking your advise and having a Harley metal guy work on the tank. We'll see how it turns out. I also wanted to mention that I sent my tach and speedometer to the guy on ebay in Southern Cal. He takes your old ones and sends you refurbished ones for 350 dollars. I sent them USPS priority mail which should take 2 days. Now it's day 8 and the post office has no idea where they are, and yes I have a tracking number.
From now on I will not be using the US postal service.
Of course I did this prior to reading the thread that stated you do this along with the wire harnesses. Now I have another problem with no old cores. I thought we were supposed to get smarter with age!
Sorry Evan to hijack. Chris, you could have saved a ton of cash if you asked questions before.
DEET would have done your gauges up right. My buddy and myself, do the tins.