YamahaEnduro.com  

Original YamahaEnduro.com forum (From 2006) 13,185 archived posts

Go Back   YamahaEnduro.com > General Discussion > Maintenance & Repair
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maintenance & Repair For specific technical questions and help requests

Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
old islander

old islander May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default Help with RT3 hubs and rims

Hi Guys, been awhile since I posted on my RT3. I started the rebuild and got sidetracked about 100 times. So now I'm back at it and need to get it back on it's wheels. I need to replace the spokes front and rear. I talked to Buchanens and they will make up the spokes for me. I also spoke with a local bike shop that will lace and true them for me. I want to clean up and polish the hubs before re lacing them. The local shop does not want me to take them apart first. They say they need to see how they are assembled so they can re lace them properly. They will dissemble, give me the hubs to refinish and then put them back together. I don't want to go that route because I would be rushed to get the hubs done in a hurry so they can finish their part. Kind of frustrating. How do you Enduro Masters go about this? Can you recommend a company I can just give the finished hubs, rims and spokes to for re assembly?
old islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
MarkT
Enduro Master

MarkT May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Buchanan's used to do the whole thing... probably still do...

Take a lot of pictures before you take apart... specifically check to see if rim is centered in the hub or offset to one side. Couldn't hurt to lay the brake drum on a flat surface and measure the dimension to the rim or ask whoever you use if they need any measurements before you take the wheels apart..

You could also do yourself... not as hard as it seems...
1963 Yamaha YG1-T "Trailmaster"
1965 Yamaha MG1-T "Omaha Trailmaster"
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
old islander

old islander May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Thanks Mark, I'll give them a call
old islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
nhsteve
Enduro Pro

nhsteve May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Default Mark T is right

Mark has it correct. Before you start you want to lay the wheel down and then lay a flat bar (like a carpenter's level or square) across the hub, and then measure from the straight surface to the edge of the rim, in order to get the offset from that side. I always do both, and they are not necessarily the same offset, left and right. This is probably the most important measurement for you to do.

This is why your local guy(s) want to see the rim assembly before taking it apart. In my experience the rim usually (but I stress the 'usually') winds up just being centered on the hub, and if the re-lacing isn't rushed is typically where the rim winds up, for me at least. My guess is that they want to make this measurement for themselves on a known good rim (yours, before it gets cleaned up) to have as a reference.

There ideally shouldn't be any 'hop' to the wheel after being trued up. If I'm good at the end of a wheel session, I have next to no side-to-side play and very little 'hop'. I just go slow and use a dial indicator, and periodically check the offset (that I measured at the start) with my straight edge.

And he's right, you probably can do it yourself, provided you have a truing stand.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
supermoto101

supermoto101 May possibly Own a  Yamaha Enduro?

Buchanans is great! A bit expensive but they can do everything for you, just send in your hubs and they will drill the rim (they will also lace and true them for extra $).
supermoto101 is offline   Reply With Quote